Re: RPC: Program not registered (mount command)

Ben Frame <frameb@wabash.edu> writes:

> I've got a new debian 2.1 install...   and when I try to use
> the mount command, I get:
>
> mount:  RPC:  Program not registered
>
> I've never seen this before and don't know what it means.
> I've got NFS and IPX installed into the kernel.  If anyone
> has suggestions I would really appreciate some help.
> Thanks!
>
> Ben Frame
> frameb@wabash.edu

I had errors like that recently caused by my security; editing
/etc/hosts.allow and restarting both /etc/init.d/netbase and
/etc/init.d/netstd_nfs (I think these are the right two) fixed the
problem.

I have a local network of two dual-PII's (192.168.1.2 and 192.168.1.3)
that I want to be able to NSF-mount a local mirror of the distribution
and have relaxed security, so relevant parts of my hosts.allow looks like:
# /etc/hosts.allow: list of hosts that are allowed to access the system.
#                   See the manual pages hosts_access(5), hosts_options(5)
#                   and /usr/doc/netbase/portmapper.txt.gz
#
# Example:    ALL: LOCAL @some_netgroup
#             ALL: .foobar.edu EXCEPT terminalserver.foobar.edu
#
# If you're going to protect the portmapper use the name "portmap" for the
# daemon name. Remember that you can only use the keyword "ALL" and IP
# addresses (NOT host or domain names) for the portmapper. See portmap(8)
# and /usr/doc/netbase/portmapper.txt.gz for further information.
#

# Allow np1 and np2 to NFS mount files and rsh in here
portmap: 192.168.1.2, 192.168.1.3
rpc.mountd: 192.168.1.
rpc.nfsd: 192.168.1.
in.rshd: 192.168.1.
in.rlogind: 192.168.1.
in.ugidd: 192.168.1.
I'm not sure I need to allow ugidd, and rsh/rlogin is for pvm and mpi,
but the others are needed.

Hope this helps, and comments from someone who knows more are
gratefully accepted.

--Norris

--
Dr. Norris Preyer                   preyern@cofc.edu
Dept. of Physics and Astronomy      (843) 953-7997 (voice)