Hardware Detection App to compliment apt

I was wondering...

RedHat has it's install app, SuSE has YAST, and now Caldera has LIZARD.

All these have one thing in common:  automatic hardware detection and
installation.

Does debian have anything like this in the making?

Apt is good at what it does, but the newbie market wants that kind of ease
with hardware.  When we say it is easy to install debian we don't mean
hardware detection.  We mean apt-get update, apt-get dist-upgrade is easy.

In the setup for X, pppconfig, and for network cards, it would be nice if
debian had an equivalent install app with the other leading distros.  If
debian is going to shine in a new area (where stablity, upgrade, and
package management is already the best), it should be in the install app.

I'm not a coder, so I can't complain (I love debian); but this would be a
great addition...

Whaddy'all think?

NatePuri
Certified Law Student