Re: Iomega zip drive

Alessandro Z wrote:
> After compiling the kernel including:
> -->     scsi support=yes
>         scsi disk support=yes
>         Iomega Zip support as a module
>         parallel printer as module
> and running lilo to use the new kernel I get an error when trying to
> install ppa:

What about rebooting after running lilo?

> insmod ppa

I also get error messages with insmod because ppa depends on modules
that could not be installed in the kernel. The file
/lib/modules/2.2.1/modules.dep says that ppa depends on scsi_mod, and
parport. But when I "modprobe ppa" I get no error messages if the ZIP
drive is connected. Now it is not here, and so I get:

/lib/modules/2.2.1/scsi/ppa.o: init_module: Device or resource busy
parport: Device or resource busy

> -->     PPA: unable to initialise controller at 0x378, error 1
>         scsi: 0 hosts
>
>         /lib/modules/2.0.xx/scsi/ppa.o:
>         init_module: Device or resource busy

I see that you use kernel 2.0.xx. I didn't know that kernel in the 2.0
series supported ZIP drives. I think that my last 2.0.35 didn't included
ZIP drives. Nevertheless, I include below some of the critical CONFIG's
in file /usr/src/kernel-source-2.2.1/.config after running "make
menuconfig" for paralel port ZIP drive, in case you want to compile
kernel 2.2.1:

# Loadable module support
CONFIG_MODULES=y
CONFIG_MODVERSIONS=y
CONFIG_KMOD=y

# General setup
CONFIG_PARPORT=m
CONFIG_PARPORT_PC=m
# CONFIG_PARPORT_OTHER is not set

# Plug and Play support
CONFIG_PNP=y
CONFIG_PNP_PARPORT=m

# Additional Block Devices
CONFIG_PARIDE_PARPORT=m
# CONFIG_PARIDE is not set

# SCSI support
CONFIG_SCSI=m

# SCSI support type (disk, tape, CD-ROM)
CONFIG_BLK_DEV_SD=m

# SCSI low-level drivers
CONFIG_SCSI_PPA=m
# CONFIG_SCSI_IMM is not set
CONFIG_SCSI_IZIP_EPP16=y
# CONFIG_SCSI_IZIP_SLOW_CTR is not set

# Character devices
CONFIG_PRINTER=m
CONFIG_PRINTER_READBACK=y

--
Conrado Badenas (Assistant Lecturer)
Department of Thermodynamics. University of Valencia