Re: kernel panic, no init found

Jianming YOU wrote:

> Hi, Experts,
>
> I just upgraded my box from 2.0.34 to 2.2.1 and I got
> "kernel panic, no init found..." when I tried to boot with the new
> kernel. The problem have been reported by several people. However, I
> still don't know how to recover the system after reading those replies,
> :(.
>
> I'd appreciate if anyone can outline a procedure to recover from this
> situation. For the moment, I can only boot with a 2.0.34 floppy and see
> the hard disk.
>
> Any guidance is very much appreciated.

After booting from the rescue floppy, find the file called /vmlinuz on
your hard drive (yes in the root directory). It is a symbolic link to a
file called /boot/vmlinuz-2.2.1. Delete the /vmlinuz file and make a new
symbolic link

ln -s /boot/vmlinuz-2.0.34 /vmlinuz

Now rerun lilo by simply typing 'lilo'. Now you can reboot off the hard
drive with your old kernel.

As for what caused the 'no init found' error. My guess is lack of block
device support in the new kernel. Under the block device section, there
is a sub-section for 'Enhanced IDE/MFM/RLL disk/cdrom/tape/floppy
support'. Be sure to select it then select 'Include IDE/ATA-2 DISK
support'. Of coarse this assuming you are using an IDE hard drive.

--
Paul Miller
pmiller@jove.acs.unt.edu