Re: Slink and Kernel-Source.

John Maheu wrote:

> On Mon, 15 Mar 1999, Tony Schonfeld wrote:
>
> > i've just upgrade one server to slink at work and i'm confuse
> > when i've see that kernel-source are in the tgz form after
> > the installation.
> >
> > I think it's necessary to use the 'old method' without problem :
> >
> > * unpack the package
> > * create a symlink from kernel-source-x.x.x to linux
> > * make-kpkg kernel_image
> >

> Yes, it appears we do the unpacking and symlink. Why doesn't the deb
> package do this anymore?

If you use the tarball from a kernel archive, it unpacks into a 'linux'
subdirectory not a 'kernel-version' directory. Maybe it has something to
do with this.

> Is it still necessary to link /usr/include/linux,asm,scsi to the
> kernel source, as the kernel-source README suggests?

This is necessarry if you wish to compile your programs againt the new
kernel headers. Take a look at /usr/doc/libc6/FAQ.Debian.gz for the
reason why Debian does not do this.

--
Paul Miller
pmiller@jove.acs.unt.edu