svgalib + quake2 puzzle

Has anyone else had this problem?--

I upgraded to slink and compiled kernel 2.2.3 this weekend, no problems.

Then, as root--it's a standalone box--I fired up quake2.  The screen
went blank and--first time I've seen this since escaping from MS--the
keyboard went dead.  Completely.  Even numlock/caplock/scrolllock were
unresponsive.

Any suggestions?

I'm running quake2 from slink and svgalibg1 from potatoe (to take
advantage of the VESA driver for my Millenium II)

Otherwise, the system is rock-solid.  (SMP is awesome under 2.2.)

Yours,

Don