svgalib + quake2 puzzle

>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>.

Has anyone else had this problem?--

I upgraded to slink and compiled kernel 2.2.3 this weekend, no problems.

Then, as root--it's a standalone box--I fired up quake2.  The screen
went blank and--first time I've seen this since escaping from MS--the
keyboard went dead.  Completely.  Even numlock/caplock/scrolllock were
unresponsive.

Any suggestions?

I'm running quake2 from slink and svgalibg1 from potatoe (to take
advantage of the VESA driver for my Millenium II)

Otherwise, the system is rock-solid.  (SMP is awesome under 2.2.)

Same thing (different conditions) happened to me yesterday but... I'm
running hamm (mostly, upgraded some stuff from slink such as glibc)
and this happened when I tried to run doom.  Now I had just changed
out my video card from an s3v to a matroix Millenum 8m so this might
be the new card not working with svgalib.  Anyway the screen went dark
(still video as the monitor power light was still green) and no amount
of Fn or <ctrl><alt><Fn>ing would get another screen.  I could still
telnet in from my windows box, but killing doom didn't help.  Ended up
doing "shutdown -r now" to avoid  fscking the file system.  Xdm was
running at the time, I had first opened up a text screen
<ctrl><alt<F2> and logged in as user before tring to run doom.  I
didn't try killing xdm durring that telnet session, guess It might
have been worthwhile.....

==
Amateur Radio, when all else fails!

http://www.qsl.net/wa2mze