Re: NT causes continual dialup.

> I've just added an NT 4.0 server machine onto my linux network so I can
> work on learning it.  Anyway, since I've added it, my dial up
> connection has been going on continually.  It appears to be dns look
> ups since it is connecting on port 53.  Does anyone know how to stop
> this in NT?

I have seen similar behavior.
While I don't have auto dialup, I noticed that NT wouldn't print until
I turned on my ppp connection.
Since I don't have auto dialup, I solved my problem by adding to
/etc/ppp/ip-down.d a script that did
    ln -fs   ./named.root.fake   /var/named/named.root
    /usr/sbin/ndc restart
Of course I had to return the original dns service in /etc/ppp/ip-up.d.
Note that this all presumed I ran a DNS server,
which wasn't too difficult to setup, but might took many hours to
resolve what all the documentation said.
This approach follows somewhat some HOWTO document,
maybe the DNS-HOWTO or PPP-HOWTO.

For your case with auto dialup, this might work if all the NT computer
wants is DNS service.
However, I am not versed enough in auto dialup to know the better solutions.

--
Jim Burt, NJ9L,		Fairfax, Virginia, USA
jameson@mnsinc.com	http://www.mnsinc.com/jameson

"A poor man associating with a rich man will soon be too poor
to buy even a pair of breeches."                   --Chinese Proverb