Re: NT causes continual dialup.

On Sun, Mar 14, 1999 at 08:52:32PM -0500, wax_man@bellsouth.net wrote:
> I've just added an NT 4.0 server machine onto my linux network so I can
> work on learning it.  Anyway, since I've added it, my dial up
> connection has been going on continually.  It appears to be dns look
> ups since it is connecting on port 53.  Does anyone know how to stop
> this in NT?
Switch off "Use DNS for windows name resolution"

It will look for a lot of names continually that won't exist. You could try
to install a caching only nameserver (this is easy with debian, just install
bind) point the NT Box at your linux server as the only nameserver,
then log the queries by sending the nameserver a SIGWINCH.

This way you know what names the silly NT box is trying to relove via DNS.

Nils

--
Plug-and-Play is really nice, unfortunately it only works 50% of the time.
To be specific the "Plug" almost always works.            --unknown source