init runs away with glibc2.1

Shortly after installing the new glibc 2.1 packages, I noticed that
init had started to run away:

USER       PID %CPU %MEM  SIZE   RSS TTY STAT START   TIME COMMAND
root         1 12.5 13.0  8944  8300  ?  R    17:42  44:26 init [2]

(That RSS is awfully big, too, but doesn't seem to be growing.)

Installing the new version of sysvinit didn't help any.  I haven't
submitted a bug report yet because I'm not sure which package is at
fault here.

ii  sysvinit        2.76-3.1       System-V like init.
ii  libc6           2.1.1-0pre1.2  GNU C Library: shared libraries
ii  ldso            1.9.10-1.1     The Linux dynamic linker, library and utilit

I've also tried "telinit q", "init q", "telinit 2" and "init 2".
They did nothing as far as I could tell.  I cannot use strace on
init ("attach: ptrace(PTRACE_ATTACH, ...): Operation not permitted").

Would a reboot fix things up, or would it just make matters worse?
(Is it safe to reboot at this point, or should I drop back to glibc 2.0?)

Please Cc: me on replies because I'm not subscribed to this list.

--
Greg Wooledge                    | Distributed.NET http://www.distributed.net/
wooledge@kellnet.com             | because a CPU is a terrible thing to waste.