Re: I can't beleive this

    reply-to.... reply-to...

>From: "Steve Lamb" <morpheus@rpglink.com>
>To: "Michael Stenner" <mstenner@phy.duke.edu>
>Date: Fri, 12 Mar 1999 19:08:34 -0800
>Subject: Re: I can't beleive this

On Fri, 12 Mar 1999 16:37:06 -0500 (EST), Michael Stenner wrote:

>That's why truck and bus drivers get different licenses than regular
>folk.  Different training.  No point in learning how to drive a truck if
>you don't need to haul stuff.  If you don't need to maintain a network,
>why learn about it.

    No dispute there.  Seeing as I have a license to drive damn near
everything legal on the road (M1, C, A class in Cali) I know about different
training.  What I am talking about are the people who hop behind the wheel
expecting the car to just go w/o knowing what the accelerator is, what the
brake is, what the sterring wheel does, etc.  IE, people who sit down at a
computer and expect to be able to operate it with no training at all.

>The more we go back and forth, the more I suspect we're talking about
>different things.

    We are.  As I said, I have no respect for people who are unwilling to
acknowledge they need training to operate this tool.

>I'm saying its ok for people to WANT an OS which does administrative tasks
>for you.  You're complaining about people who EXPECT an OS to do
>administrative tasks for you (and who bitch a lot when they don't get
>something).  We're describing two different sets of people.

    Uhm, are we?  I'm talking about people who complain about two mouse
buttons and not knowing how to drag icons and calling that "too hard."

>bugs me to no end also, but in this case, there's nothing wrong with
>WANTING an "easy" OS.

    Linux *IS* an easy OS.

		I always buck this, so lemme explain.  Windows (and Mac) are easy to
"learn", not easy to use.  Linux, OTOH, is easy to use and, IMHO, easy to
learn as well.  The only reason Windows/Mac are easy to "learn" is because
they are somewhat popular.  But once you've learned them, doing any complex
task is tedious, slow and a PITA to even think about.  That isn't easy to
use, that is hard to use.

    So, to me, Linux *IS* an easy OS, very easy.

>that's pretty extreme.  What's WRONG with autodetecting hardware and
>installing drivers?

    And if I don't want it to be autodetected and installed?

- --

- --