Re: kernel

The first number is the major version number the second the minor version number the
third the patch level number.  An even numbered kernel such as 2.2.x is a stable
version.  An odd number such as 2.1.x is a development release.  The patch level
numbers start at 1 and are added with each consecutive patch.
Hope that helps,
Kent