Re: what's the best html wordprocessor?

Paul Puri <publisher@ompages.com> writes:

> I've used netscape composer, amaya, emacs (which is more of an html
> code editor), I'm looking for wysiwyg (word processor type).
>
> Now I think soffice's StarWriter is the best around.  It acts just
> like a word processor, it has footnotes, doublespace, etc.  It also
> uses good html.  I checked my docs in lynx and they were quite
> viewable, and the double spacing etc looked great.
>
> I'm interested in this because my goal is to write all documents in an
> open file type that can be easily indexed and searchable in htdig.
> That way I can have a permanent and growing personal (searchable)
> library (one that would also be searchable over the network).
>
> I know there are lots of great word processors, but .wpd, .doc, .dvi,
> etc. are not acceptable.  I hear gnome will have an xml word
> processor, that is something to look forward to.

I find the idea to use HTML as an exchangeable format for documents
REALLY scary, because it doesn't use content based tagging and the
documents look different on each browser. You can't carefully design a
document and be sure that it will look the same even with a new
browser version. For searching, HTDIG and the like, HTML is great,
however.

My suggestion is to keep 2 copies of a document around: one in a
format that ideally uses content tagging and can reproduce faithful
copies for printing (dvi, I suppose) and a HTML copy for browsing,
indexing and the like.

I would try to learn SGML. From SGML you can create all types of
documents, including HTML.

Even LaTeX is better, and Latex-documents usually are searchable,
too. Using the right style files, you can even have
content-tagging. LaTeX2HTML translates LaTeX into HTML.

The editor: I don't care. WYSIWYG doesn't bother me, because in LaTeX
I trust (after having made my own style files). Emacs+AucTeX+RefTeX is
my favourite combination, but vi would do the same job.

--
Michael Bonetsmüller           The least we can do is wave to each other
bonetsm@hrzpub.tu-darmstadt.de                 --Van der Graaf Generator