Re: IP-aliasing scripts - in /etc/rc.boot?

*- On 10 Mar, M.C. Vernon wrote about "IP-aliasing scripts - in /etc/rc.boot?"
> I have a little custom script set up to ipalias. I need to make it
> auto-run on bootup (I'm leaving the machine in a cupboard a long way from
> home). Can I just place it in /etc/rc.boot/ip_alias_fudge ? or do I need
> to do anything else.
>
> Will it be run last of all (and if not, where should I put it in order to
> do this?)

No.  First, rc.boot is obsolete.  Second, rc.boot gets run first before
any networking or anything is setup.  You should put your
ip_alias_fudge script in /etc/init.d and use update-rc.d to add links
from rc?.d to the file.  See the man page for update-rc.d.

Something like this should work:

update-rc.d ip_alias_fudge start 55 2 3 4 5 . stop 55 0 1 6 .

The script will get called with the option of start or stop so you can
ignore it or use it to bring up or down the aliases.  Look at the other
non .sh scripts in /etc/init.d for examples.

--
Brian
							   - unknown

Mechanical Engineering                                bservis@usa.net