Re: Maximal Mount Count

Paul Puri dixit:

I also passed the -a option to the `cp' command, it preserves files and
directory permissions, quite important I believe.

> When it done, what can I do to make /hda2/usr, just plain /usr?

add the following line to /etc/fstab:

#
/dev/hda2	/usr		ext2	defaults	0	2

Make sure you just copied the contents inside /usr to the new location, not
/usr as well.  Then, you should have an empty /usr directory.  When you
reboot, /dev/hda2 will be mounted in /usr.  Last time I did this, I copied
/usr as well, and I ended up having /usr/usr...

/usr/local
/usr/doc
... you might also make a new directory called /opt, in a separate
partition, and install there new *big* programs instead of /usr/local

Regards,

Horacio.