Re: User Directories

> What do I have to do to move my user directories to a different
> partition/drive?  I have looked around but I can not find what file (?)
> that user info like home directory is stored.

The home directory of a user is written in /etc/passwd.  In that file
you can change the directory, then copy the stuff with cp -a, and remove
the old one with rm -rf.  You may want to check

man cp
man 5 passwd

and you may want to make backups.  In any case, I would not remove the
old directory before verifying that the new setup worked.

> 	Also I was wonder what the most dependable way to mount a drive on boot
> was?  Can you do this with in a standard '/etc/rcX.d' file or with the
> kernel or something?  When my machine boots one of the messages that
> comes up is 'not mounting anthing . . . ' (or something like that).  I
> know I could do it by putting a mount /dev/hdXX in my /etc/profile file
> but I get a feeling there is a more system smart method of doing this.

There definitely is.  Drives that are mounted are specified in
/etc/fstab (File System TABle).  This file too has a man page, so try

man fstab

If anything remains unclear, do post on this list again.  If you want
to know more about basic unix administration tasks, you may want to
read (buy) a book like `Running Linux' by Matt Welsh (sp?).

HTH,
Eric

--
 E.L. Meijer (tgakem@chem.tue.nl)          | tel. office +31 40 2472189
 Eindhoven Univ. of Technology             | tel. lab.   +31 40 2475032