User Directories

What do I have to do to move my user directories to a different
partition/drive?  I have looked around but I can not find what file (?)
that user info like home directory is stored.

	Also I was wonder what the most dependable way to mount a drive on boot
was?  Can you do this with in a standard '/etc/rcX.d' file or with the
kernel or something?  When my machine boots one of the messages that
comes up is 'not mounting anthing . . . ' (or something like that).  I
know I could do it by putting a mount /dev/hdXX in my /etc/profile file
but I get a feeling there is a more system smart method of doing this.

Thanks  MT.