still have browser trouble

Installed Debian 2.0 from CD and everything worked. Decided to add
space on hard disk but then several reinstalls all led to same browser
problems.Browsers arena and gzilla, which worked before, now give
error messages. Chimera2 still seems to work, but when used to
download netscape communicator, something is wrong with the downloaded
file. The file shows up in ls , gunzip says no such file or
directory.Have downloaded netscape several times from different sites.

Tried variations of XF86Setup, no help. Have new IBM Aptiva with pro
rage card, not listed in XF86Setup, so used generic VGA card.

Tried to remove and reinstall gzilla. dpkg -l says it is installed,
but dpkg -purge says that it is not installed.

I have tried both gunzip xxx.tar.gz and gunzip ./xxx.tar.gz, neither
works.

Have looked at file dependencies for gzilla and replaced several, not
all, from ftp rather than CD, no help.

As far as I can tell, except for browsers, everything else works as it
should.