Re: still have browser trouble

> Installed Debian 2.0 from CD and everything worked. Decided to add
> space on hard disk but then several reinstalls all led to same browser
> problems.Browsers arena and gzilla, which worked before, now give
> error messages. Chimera2 still seems to work, but when used to
> download netscape communicator, something is wrong with the downloaded
> file. The file shows up in ls , gunzip says no such file or
> directory.Have downloaded netscape several times from different sites.

Sorry, I may have missed the early post. What error messages you get?
As for netscape-communicator-*.tar.g     make sure you are typing the
right file name, file is not a symbolic link, etc. These things might
happen.

> Tried variations of XF86Setup, no help. Have new IBM Aptiva with pro
> rage card, not listed in XF86Setup, so used generic VGA card.

You might want to look up earlier versions of ProRage, see if they are in
the card library. This might help you to get more out of the X in terms of
resolution and color depth. Also, use SVGA xserver, at least.

> I have tried both gunzip xxx.tar.gz and gunzip ./xxx.tar.gz, neither
> works.

Ok, try this instead. In the dir. where you have netscape-communicator
file (make sure it's not /tmp yet, or you might lose the file whenever you
logout), type gunzip and then first 3-4 characters of the file name.
Then hit TAB. If you don't have any other file names starting with those
characters, it will display the ful file name. Easy way to avoid typos.

HTH,
 Andrew
 Andrei S. Ivanov
 c680789@showme.missouri.edu