Re: Quake No longer running for users

On Tue, 2 Mar 1999, Peter Ludwig wrote:

> Well, I did the funny thing today, I started upgrading my machine to
> slink, after a few glitches (i.e. exmim returning 40-50 messages saying
> that it wouldn't accept mail for @localhost) I seem to have everything
> going smoothly (fingers crossed, haven't yet tried the network settings,
> I'm moving soon and have the other machine packed already).
>
> Well to cut a long story short, I got the basic problems fixed, but now
> for some reason Quake (thats Quake 1) refuses to run as a user.  I've
> checked all the settings I changed last time to get it to work but the
> update kept them intact.  The exact error message I get is :-
>
> svgalib: Cannot get I/O permissions.

Svgalib needs suid root permissions. To give the executable the proper
permissions, execute `chmod u+s /usr/games/squake.real`

The executable in the .deb is not like this for security reasons.

> Now, what has changed with the permissions on I/O between Hamm and slink
> that would account for this problem, and how can I "fix" it so I can run
> Quake again?  Oh, before I forget I am running S-Quake, not X-Quake (for
> those who can't figure it out), and I don't really have the resources to
> run X-Quake properly, I use quake to do something while my machine is
> downloading lots of megabytes of the internet/compiling a kernel whatever,
> and I would rather _NOT_ run it as root.

xquake does not have this problem anyway.

                       Michael Beattie (mickyb@es.co.nz)

                      Don't force it, use a bigger hammer.