Re: SOLVED: samba 2.0 troubles (mostly)

	Subject: SOLVED: samba 2.0 troubles (mostly)
	Date: Mon, Mar 01, 1999 at 06:11:35PM -0500

Quoting Daniel J. Brosemer(odin@bolverk.dorm.org):

> > > I'm having problems with samba 2.0 (the .deb in potato) that I was hoping
> > > someone could help me with.
> > >
> > > My win95 box cannot be seen by smbclient, and my linux box cannot be seen
> > > by my win95 box.  Both can ping each other, however, so I don't think it's
> > > an ether problem.
> > #1 RTFM     samba-2.0.2/source/web/diagnose.c   !!!
>
> This looks useful, I'll spend the time to find out how it wants to be
> compiled sometime.

Shhh, boy did I screw up!  It was supposed to say DIAGNOSE.TXT!
Sorry!!!

> > Cay you ping the Linux box from Win95 using both the IP address and
> > the machine name?  If not check win95 hosts & lmhosts.  Check Linux
> > /etc/hosts.
>
> I did not have entries in the hosts/lmhosts for the respective machines,
> and adding them fixed the problem of 'smbclient -L 192.168.1.30' dieing,
> though I still don't understand why, since I was using an IP address, but
> no matter as it works now.
>
> > > odin@bolverk:[~]$ smbclient -N -L localhost
> > I connect with
> > smbclient '\\win\WINC' -N
>
> Yes, what I was attempting to do was list shares on the win95 box.  The
> similar command did not work before, either, though.
>
> > > Why is my samba box not the master? (I've got my smb.conf attached later)
> > > btw, FRIGG isn't a printer, but I would like to have it serve a printer
> > > which explains the Comment field.
> > This is all explained in the docs!  To have your Linux box be the
> > master put this in [ global ]
> >    os level = 33

The docs say that an os level of 33 forces the Linux box to be the
master.  Well that USED to be the case anyway.  I am using my old
smb.conf. from 1.9.10 and it works the same in 2.0.2.  Maybe I should
RTFM on 2.0.2 myself.

> Still does not work, I eventually got it to be master, but not with this
> line which appeared to have no effect.  I had been going through the
> BROWSING.txt file and removing and adding many things from smb.conf as
> experiments but to no avail, it just so happened that my os level = line
> was commented out when I pasted non-comment lines into the message.  I
> always read docs before posting questions, and have been trying to figure
> this out for over a week.  Please give people the benefit of the doubt
> before exclaiming that everything they need is in the docs.

Sorry but it seems like a lot of people don't.  I have never seen the
smbclient done like you had it & thought THAT was the real problem.
As it was so different, I thought you might not have read the docs.

> > After reading the doc's let us know what you had to do to get it up,
> > OK.
>
> I gave it one last stab after the small success with your /etc/hosts
> suggestion I figured there were more resolution problems, and so I bit the
> bullet and enabled the builtin WINS server in samba, pointed the win95 box
> at it, and all appears to work.  I don't like this because I think there
> should be a better way, but in the meantime, I'll use this as it appears
> to work.

Yes that would bother me to.  It looks like you are close now tho.  A
few more tweaks and you will have it.

Good luck!  Thanks for reporting back.  And I apologize for the tone
of my first reply.

> Thank you both very much.  Your help is appreciated.
>
> -Dano

Your very welcome.  Wish I could have been of more help.

Wayne

--
You can measure a programmer's perspective by noting his attitude on
the continuing viability of FORTRAN.