SOLVED: samba 2.0 troubles (mostly)

> > I'm having problems with samba 2.0 (the .deb in potato) that I was hoping
> > someone could help me with.
> >
> > My win95 box cannot be seen by smbclient, and my linux box cannot be seen
> > by my win95 box.  Both can ping each other, however, so I don't think it's
> > an ether problem.
> #1 RTFM     samba-2.0.2/source/web/diagnose.c   !!!

This looks useful, I'll spend the time to find out how it wants to be
compiled sometime.

> Cay you ping the Linux box from Win95 using both the IP address and
> the machine name?  If not check win95 hosts & lmhosts.  Check Linux
> /etc/hosts.

I did not have entries in the hosts/lmhosts for the respective machines,
and adding them fixed the problem of 'smbclient -L 192.168.1.30' dieing,
though I still don't understand why, since I was using an IP address, but
no matter as it works now.

> > odin@bolverk:[~]$ smbclient -N -L localhost
> I connect with
> smbclient '\\win\WINC' -N

Yes, what I was attempting to do was list shares on the win95 box.  The
similar command did not work before, either, though.

> > Why is my samba box not the master? (I've got my smb.conf attached later)
> > btw, FRIGG isn't a printer, but I would like to have it serve a printer
> > which explains the Comment field.
> This is all explained in the docs!  To have your Linux box be the
> master put this in [ global ]
>    os level = 33

Still does not work, I eventually got it to be master, but not with this
line which appeared to have no effect.  I had been going through the
BROWSING.txt file and removing and adding many things from smb.conf as
experiments but to no avail, it just so happened that my os level = line
was commented out when I pasted non-comment lines into the message.  I
always read docs before posting questions, and have been trying to figure
this out for over a week.  Please give people the benefit of the doubt
before exclaiming that everything they need is in the docs.

> After reading the doc's let us know what you had to do to get it up,
> OK.

I gave it one last stab after the small success with your /etc/hosts
suggestion I figured there were more resolution problems, and so I bit the
bullet and enabled the builtin WINS server in samba, pointed the win95 box
at it, and all appears to work.  I don't like this because I think there
should be a better way, but in the meantime, I'll use this as it appears
to work.

Thank you both very much.  Your help is appreciated.

-Dano