Re: Debian and Redhat - are most linux users missing the point?

George Bonser wrote:

> On Sat, 27 Feb 1999, Ed Cogburn wrote:
>
> > > In other words, the value is the process and not the content.
> >

> >       What do mean by content here?  The software?
> >
> >       I'm saying the 'process' has been positively influenced by the
> > 'politics' (the Social Contract is perhaps a good example of the
> > 'politics' of Debian).
>
> And I think the process has been influenced more by the simple fact that
> they have a lot of developers spread all over the world and that FORCED
> them to develop strict standards if they were to produce anything at all.
> I see the benefits coming more out of the distributed development
> environment than out of any free software issues.

	You are almost certainly right here.  The distributed development
is a factor in the end result, but I don't think these factors are
mutually exclusive, however.  I think all the factors we've talked
about are influencing the end result.  In fact, at this point,
only a detailed poll of the developers would shed any further
light on this debate.  I would rather not waste their time, as
this debate really isn't that important.  Whatever the factors
that have influenced the Debian process, its the end result that
speaks for itself.  :-)

	I like the Enterprise Debian idea and believe it could work.
Actually, all Deb really needs to start out with, is a corporate
services and support company that will provide support for the use
of Debian in corporate areas.  A modified Deb could be built
incrementally as the needs (that are different as compared to the
needs of the current developer community) of the coporate market
require.  Deb is *already* usefull in a business environment.  The
Linux Journal magazine is running Debian on their machines, IIRC.

--
Ed C.