Re: Which Kernal supports over 6.0 GB HD

> I've experienced the same with a supposedly ~4.3GB seagate, which both the
> BIOS and Linux read as 4.1GB... your guess makes a lot of sense, and its
> consequence is that we're being fooled by HDD manufacturers.

No, you're not.

You're just not paying attention to how we computer users use the SI prefix
"giga" imprecisely, and to the fact that disk capacities aren't inherently
tied to powers of two they way memory capacities are (through address bus
widths).

Remember that there's the real (SI standard) "kilo" (1000) and our binary
"kilo" (1024) prefix, the real "mega" and a fully binary "mega" (along with
a hybrid), and the real "giga" and fully binary "giga" (and two hydrids).

Daniel