Re: Debian and Redhat - are most linux users missing the point?

On Sat, 27 Feb 1999, Nathan O. Siemers wrote:
> 	I strongly agree.  I have personal convictions that debian is
> the higher quality dist, but I cannot reccomend it to the corporation
> I work for  simply because of the install process and dselect issues.

The install is actually quite easy in the 2.1 release. Here is what you do
when you see the dselect screen:

- Choose apt access method
- Do the update (get list of available packages) (automatic).
- Leave the package selections as they are; don't even fool with the
  select screen. (no effort here, this is the usual hard part)
- Install (automatic).
- Quit.

So it's all just pressing return, except for answering a couple of
questions when you choose the access method.

Then, apt-get install any other packages that you want. If you're
installing more than one machine it's easy to just make a list of these.
Or you can use gnome-apt to install more packages.

Long-term maintenance is much *easier* than Red Hat because you can simply
apt-get upgrade to get any security fixes, and if you want package foo
just apt-get install foo and it will magically be found on the internet
and installed. apt-get will also refuse to break the system; this is a
good thing. Many Red Hat systems end up every bit as broken as many
Windows systems.

Havoc