Netscape Communicator 4.5 & Java Applets

For some strange reason Communicator 4.5 crashes (bus error) whenever
encountering ANY applet.  I have tried a million things - reinstalled
all libraries that communicator depends on, reinstall communicator,
tried with no config files, tried tweaking the wrapper script.

An email to Netscape's tech support had no response and posted a
message on their Unix communicator list only resulted in "me too's".

I previously used the java activator which worked fine for a couple of
months and then bombed out on a missing symbol (some unrelated library
upgrade).  I asked the person at blackdown that was listed as contact
and never got a reply.  Activator has since disappeared.

No one has these problems apparently and the bug report I filled has
been left in oblivian (what can you do with closed src, right?).  At
one point I read every that I could find on dejanews including the
linux netscape faq which didn't do anything for me.

Anyways, this problems was present with slink and also with potato
(current as of today). Tried different kernels including 2.0.3*,
2.1.125 and 2.2.*.

I have a K6-200, 128 MB RAM, pleanty of disk space but not much hope
for getting this resolved.

Out of desperation I tried hotjava... and well, it sucks.  Mozilla has
a way to go.  Lynx is awesome for some things but not these.

Oh.. and one more interesting thing.  At work communicator has no
(read "some") problems with applets.  Go figure.

Suggestions, ideas, anyone?  Thanks!

/Allan
--
Allan M. Wind			Phone: 	781.938.5272 (home)
687 Main St., 2nd fl.		Fax: 	781.938.6641 (fax/modem)