Re: rc.boot for regular users

Andreas Rapp wrote:

> I would like to start fetchmail in daemon mode at boot time
> as a regular user, not as root
> (I don't want fetchmail sending unresolved eMails to root, but to
> my account)
>
> Can regular users also have boot scripts ?
>
> Andreas
>
> --

You can use crontab for that. First setup the file  ~/.fetchmailrc for each user in
your system. Then add a line to /etc/crontab for each user, there you will tell
crontab how many times to check for email. This is how mine looks like:

/etc/crontab
<snip>
# Added by rosarior for automatic mail check
# Min-Hr-Dom-Moy-Dow-User-Command

05 7,17,21,0 * * * rosarior fetchmail -s
25 7,17,21,0 * * * apontet fetchmail -s
45 7,17,21,0 * * * gordonc fetchmail -s

The line "05  7,17,21,0 * * * rosarior fetchmail -s"; tells crontab to execute the
command "fetchmail -s" as user rosarior every time the minutes is 05 and the hour is
7,17,21,0 (7:05 am, 5:05pm, 9:05pm and 12:05am) the * is a wildcard character (Dom-
every day of the month, Moy every month of the year and Dow- every Day of the week)
and in case of error any output is sent to that user's mailbox and not to root. I use
increments of 20 minutes for each user to lower the traffic in case the ppp connection
speed is slow. Hope this is of help.

Later/Robert.