RE: Compiling my kernel - but it's not working as I planned

On 26-Feb-99 MallarJ@aol.com wrote:
> I have some kernel compliling issues:
>
> * I'm using kernel-package (and boy does it make life easier!)
> * I'm running slink, compilng kernel 2.0.36
> * I'm using menuconfig
>
> Questions:
>
> 1) I'd LOVE to have the .config file used to create the distribution version
> of kernel-image.2.0.36.  I can't imagine this is hard to obtain.  Can someone
> tell me where to get it?

Grab the source for kernel-image.  Should be in there.

> 2) I can't seem to get the cdrom.o module created.  I selected (as per the
> HOWTOs) enhanced ide/mfm/rll disk/cdrom/tape support' and 'include ide/atapi
> cdrom support' and 'iso9660 cdrom fs'.  But after install the /lib/modules
> dir
> doesn't contain a cdrom dir - as it did with my base install.  What am I
> missing?  (Those options that allowed it I opted for the module version)
>
> 3) On the same lines, the vfat module isn't being created in /lib/modules.  I
> do have the filesystem option checked in menuconfig.  (Again, I selecte the
> module version for vfat).
>
> (On both 2 and 3 - I checked the compile listing [which I can provide if you
> want it] and in fact vfat and cdrom aren't compiled as modules.

You need to compile them AS modules, not included.  Type <m> instead of <y>.

> 4) Do I need to recompile pcmcia-cs since I recompiled my kernel?  The docs
> mention this - I'd like to know the reason.  Also, how do I do this without
> overlaying all my existing config files for pcmcia and serial and PPP?  Sure
> wish there was a kernel-package option for pcmcia-cs.  :)

pcmcia-cs is actually kernel modules.  So if it is compiled for a specific
kernel version.  You only need to re-make them if a) you want
less/more/different b) you get a new kernel version.

and yes, there is a kernel-package option for pcmcia.  Read the pcmcia docs to
find out more (make-kpkg modules_install will compile the pcmcia-modules).