Compiling my kernel - but it's not working as I planned

I have some kernel compliling issues:

* I'm using kernel-package (and boy does it make life easier!)
* I'm running slink, compilng kernel 2.0.36
* I'm using menuconfig

Questions:

1) I'd LOVE to have the .config file used to create the distribution version
of kernel-image.2.0.36.  I can't imagine this is hard to obtain.  Can someone
tell me where to get it?

Why?  Because I want to create the kernel as it already exists on my PC but
with options I want added.  Granted, I can set everything up myself - but I
haven't been successful - read on...

2) I can't seem to get the cdrom.o module created.  I selected (as per the
HOWTOs) enhanced ide/mfm/rll disk/cdrom/tape support' and 'include ide/atapi
cdrom support' and 'iso9660 cdrom fs'.  But after install the /lib/modules dir
doesn't contain a cdrom dir - as it did with my base install.  What am I
missing?  (Those options that allowed it I opted for the module version)

3) On the same lines, the vfat module isn't being created in /lib/modules.  I
do have the filesystem option checked in menuconfig.  (Again, I selecte the
module version for vfat).

(On both 2 and 3 - I checked the compile listing [which I can provide if you
want it] and in fact vfat and cdrom aren't compiled as modules.

4) Do I need to recompile pcmcia-cs since I recompiled my kernel?  The docs
mention this - I'd like to know the reason.  Also, how do I do this without
overlaying all my existing config files for pcmcia and serial and PPP?  Sure
wish there was a kernel-package option for pcmcia-cs.  :)

-Jay