Re: ROOT created chaos !

My best guess is, boot off the debian rescue floppy, but don't do a
"rescue", pretend like you're going to install the system again.

When you get to the Debian install menu system, press <Left-Alt><F2> to
get a new virtual console.

Once in this (very limited) shell, mount your root partition.  For
example (on my system):

mount -t ext2 /dev/hda2 /mnt

Now, your root disk is mounted on /mnt.  So what you want to do is edit
/mnt/etc/passwd (normally /etc/passwd).  (I believe the Debian install
disk has the vi editor)

Look for the "root" entry.  It is usually the top one.  On the far right
you should see the default shell.  Change it to the shell you want.
Exit your editor and type reboot.  Remove the floppy disk and voila,
your root account should work.

Now if anyone else has an easier way to do this, feel most free to
ignore everything I just said, but my way should work as a last resort.

---------
Mattey C, PhD (School of Hard Knox)
Master of the Unnecesarily Hard Way