cd-writer: no /dev/sg0, sr0, or scd0 working

When I have my cd-writer installed as secondary ide device,
after my cd-rom drive, and have the kernel configure with
ide cdrom unselected, and scsi emulation, and generic scsi
selected, the system hangs on boot.  Where I have only the
cd-writer connected as primary ide, the system boots fine,
and 1 scsi host is detected, but I can't find a device to
mount...

Any help would be greatly appreciated.  Thanks...

--
NatePuri
Certified Law Student