Re: decoding/viewing pictures

ivan hat gesagt: // ivan wrote:

> As I often download fractal images from the newsgroups I would like to find
> a news reader which will auto-decode the encrypted graphics and auto-exec a
> viewer programme ?
>
> Can anyone recommend a good picture viewer - prefer svgalib based rather
> than X based but any _good_ viewer is better than nothing ?
>
> My inability to find this software is the only reason I have left to use
> Win95 and, although I don't have a phobia about MS products, I would prefer
> to use Debian consistently.  It's an absolute pain to have to re-boot just
> because I want to look at pretty pictures and then re-boot to get some work
> done (and, of course, I lose my dial-up connection with each re-boot !)

For viewing pictures under svgalib there is the package zgv. It is similar
to xv which you could only use with X.

A good newsreader for the console is IMO slrn. To uudecode a message just
put the cursor on it and hit the key ":"
It will load the message and decode it.
To decode multipart messages "tag" them all with the key "#" and the press
":"
--
                                                     __    __
 Frank Barknecht           ____ ______   ____ __ trip\ \  / /wire ______