Re: Curious Question.

Dan Willard:
>  Just how closely does Linux match with Unix?  If I know Linux and sitdown
> in front of a Unix terminal am I just going to notice a few differences (ie
> file locations and a couple of commands) or am I going to be lost?  I think
> I already know the answer but would like confirmation. Thanks.

Probably the most noticeable difference will be between the GNU utilities
and the usual Unix utilities. Most obviously, normal unix doesn't have the
double-dash long options (ie, you must say `ls -a' rather than `ls --all').

Also, GNU utils often have more options; for example, tar might not have
the `z' option, so you have to compress as a separate step:
# tar cvf abc.tar ... ; compress abc.tar
rather than
# tar cvzf abc.tar.gz ...

Jiri
--
<jiri@baum.com.au>
We'll know the future has arrived when every mailer transparently