Re: pine & mutt

Hi Steve Lamb,

you wrote on Sat, Feb 20, 1999 at 09:22:34PM -0800:

>*WHY!?*  Anyone familiar with mutt would know that it was modeled after
>a newsreader, SLRN!  So why contribute to bloat by having those two
>functions in the same program, especially mutt, when one can have mutt and
>slrn with similar key mappings, similar colors, etc, etc, etc...

Well I tried pine at first (it did news, but not too good), then tried
SLRN, which was pretty good, but had no nice filtering/scoring. Then
I tried tin and it's IMHO great.

mutt is also highly configurable (as tin), so if you put some work
into it, you get them both to your liking. The biggest disadvantage of
SLRN was the only basic filtering.

>In short, any patch to mut to mangle it to read news will fall severely
>short of slrn or any other dedicated news reader.

Absolute agreement.

Kind regards

Frederick

--
Linux *is* user-friendly.
It's just a little picky about it's friends.