Re: Confused with the X packages in slink

On Fri, Feb 19, 1999 at 06:42:45PM +1100, Shao Zhang wrote:
> Hi,
> 	I have upgraded my hamm to slink, but I am a bit confused.
>
> 	First, I thought the packages have been renamed to the following:
>     xfntbase    ->    xfonts-base
>     xfnt75      ->    xfonts-75dpi
>     xfnt100     ->    xfonts-100dpi
>     xfntscl     ->    xfonts-scalable
>     xfntbig     ->    xfonts-cjk
>     xfntcyr     ->    xfonts-cyrillic
>     xfntpex     ->    xfonts-pex
>     xslib       ->    xlib6-static
>     xslibg      ->    xlib6g-static

Yes, that looks like the list from /usr/doc/xfree86-common/README.Debian.

> 	But, after upgrading to slink, dpkg --list is still showing with
> the old names. Should I manually install the new packages and remove the
> old packages??

apt-get install <newpackagename>

should do the trick.

> Will apt-get install xfonts-base automatically remove the
> package with the old name xfntbase??

Yes.

> 	Is it safe for me to remove the package xbase in slink??

Yes.  Read xbase's extended description (or /usr/doc/xbase/README.Debian).

> 	What other packages are there that I should remove??

That's all.

--
G. Branden Robinson              |      One man's "magic" is another man's
Debian GNU/Linux                 |      engineering.  "Supernatural" is a