netscape and mozilla just stop

With either kernel 2.0.34 (debian install) or 2.2.1 (my own little baby)
I am having troble with netscape 4.5 and mozilla (.deb packages in
slink). Netscape 4.5 often cuts out (xload goes from lots of green to
nothing) when reloading pages. The following two pages always crash
netscape

http://wxnet4.nbc4.com/cgi-bin/scrCapDoppler1/

won't even load page before is crashes (moving to mozilla fixed this
problem)

and

http://www.debian.org/Lists-Archives/debian-user-9901/threads.html

both netscape and mozilla load this page (or any of the monthly pages)
and if I follow any of the threads, say the first one on the page (url
below) it will load the page ok.

http://www.debian.org/Lists-Archives/debian-user-9901/msg00000.html

However if I now press the back button the treads.html page will
partically load then netscape or mozilla will lock up (xload drops to
zero). Now as this is a linux box I can just kill the process and start
again but it is getting to be annoying. Does this happen to anyone else
or is it something funny with my machine like a missing library (both
these pages work flawlessly with mac nav4.5 and NT4.0 nav4.5?).

Lastly when I try to change the preferences in mozilla I keep getting
these Netscape:subprocess diagnostics (stdout/stderr) dialog boxes keep
popping up saying that something of of class XmList or Xmform etc
crashed etc. Is this because there is already a .netscape in my user
directory from netscape which is incompatible with mozilla.

cheers matt