How to give users certain privileges?

I have set up Debian on four lab computers and would like the students using
them to be able to access our Novell system via ncpmount, etc., as well as
floppies.  Additionally, it would be nice if they could shut down without my
intervention.

Can I simply add them to specific groups which would give them this access,
or is there another way to accomplish it which is more efficient?

Ah ... one other thought.  Ctrl-Alt-Del is a safe reboot as defined, isn't
it?  (The computers should be reset into the ... ugh ... WinNT environment
after we use them, for the rest of the masses.)

Thanks for any help!

A newbie system administrator,
Kenward Vaughan
Dr. Kenward Vaughan