Re: GUI stuff

On Thu, 18 Feb 1999, Kirk Hogenson wrote:

> good.  Someone (in fact, it is the same person who wrote QtC (Roberto
> Alsina, who I quoted above)) is starting wxQt, a wrapper around Qt for
> the wxWindows library.  This would allow developers to sit on the fence
> in the gnome-kde wars -- compiling their programs into the native
> toolkit of each.

What's really needed for that is wxGnome and wxKDE, which don't exist;
there's a reasonably large difference between a vanilla Gtk app and a
full-blown Gnome-o-rific app. I hope the wxGtk guy will expand to Gnome
once Gnome is 1.0, and hopefully Roberto will provide KDE support in wxQt.

BTW another reason C++ is hard to wrap is that the Gtk object system and
Gtk in general is designed especially for wrapping. It has
"introspection/reflection" much like Java, you can get at the internals,
replace the internals with custom internals, replace virtual functions,
etc. Unlike most OO languages, C++ (by design) does not provide any
runtime information about objects.  So if you use the C++ object system
unenhanced, you don't end up with a very wrappable system. Qt just isn't
designed with it in mind. Gtk is. I don't think this is related to C vs.
C++ as many have said; it's just a matter of what the library was designed
to do. The only C/C++ relationship is that Gtk had to implement its own
object system which encouraged features like this.

The proof is, there are a dozen or more languages with Gtk support,
many of them interpreted languages.

Havoc