Re: It's Time to Talk About Free Software Again

Bruce Perens wrote:
> Sadly, as I've tended toward promotion of Free Software rather than Open
> Source, Eric Raymond seems to be losing his free software focus. The Open
> Source certification mark has already been abused in ways I find
> unconscionable and that I will not abide.
Are we talking here about products that are getting certified that do
not fit the definitions of "Open Source" or "Free Software"?  That would
not be good.  I think I agree with you that, while non-open-source
software might not be intrinsically "evil", confusing the two *is*.
Can you tell us what the products are, Bruce?  :-)
FWIW (not much), I like the term "Open Source" over "Free Software",
because I think it's more descriptive and less confusing (to
outsiders).  I think Stallman's a great man, even if I don't know why he
insists on the term "Free Software" (actually I think I do: ideological
purity), and find some of his views extreme.