Re: kernel 2.2.1 message

You need to add "netmask" to your route command.  The 2.0.x kernel
series provided a default value, but 2.1.x no longer does this.

Another change is that the kernel now creates a route automaticly when
you bring up an interface (this doesn't seem to apply to the loopback
interface, tho).  You may be able to add the netmask to your ifconfig
statement and drop the route command entirely (this will depend on what
you're actually trying to setup).