Re: To Patch, or Not To Patch (A Kernel)

There aren't any kernel "tweaks" which are actually required to run
Debian... I've updated my kernel via kernel.org about two dozen times in
the last year or so (I started following the development series around
2.1.120), and Debian has never had any problems relating to that.

What happens with the debianized kernel-source packages is that
various patches are already applied, generally to add support for such
things as additional hardware.  As an example, some of the recent source
packages have contained an updated version of the aic7xxx scsi driver,
and I believe that FAT32 support was included prior to making it into
the official kernel tree.