Re: To Patch, or Not To Patch (A Kernel)

On Wed, Feb 17, 1999 at 05:04:00AM +0000, Mark Wagnon wrote:
> I'm currently running kernel 2.0.36 on a hamm system. I've heard a lot
> of good things about 2.2.1, so I thought I'd give it a go. I'm currently
> downloading linux-2.2.1, but the directory also contains linux-2.2.0 and
> a patch-2.2.1 file. I was reading through the kernel-howto, and the
> first paragraph mentions that patches are incremental upgrades to the
> kernel. My question is then, if I ftp linux-2.2.1, then there is no need
> to get the patch, right? It's for those who have the linux-2.2.0
> revision and wish to upgrade to 2.2.1 without the need for another
> thirteen-meg file transfer. Am I reading this right?

Yes, patch files are created with the diff utility. diff outputs the
difference between  2 source files, or can even handle 2 source directory
trees.

But Debian kernel-source packages are tweaked for Debian. This means
that since it is not THE Linux kernel source, it probably won't be
successful in using the patch-*.gz files.

The package called kernel-package will help you create .debs out
of the kernel sources. You don't need it, though.