How do I find what a source package depends on?

I'm trying to compile pine 4.10 and having problems.  The build fails with
ld: cannot open -lncurses: No such file or directory
I'm trying to work out if I'm missing a required library before reporting
it as a bug, but there doesn't seem to be any way to find out what a
source package depends on, and pine being pine, there isn't a binary
package to check.

(for the pine problem) These are the ncusrses stuff I have:

solzhenitsyn:/usr/local/src/pine-4.10# dpkg -l \*ncur\*
Desired=Unknown/Install/Remove/Purge
uppercase=bad)
||/ Name            Version        Description
+++-===============-==============-============================================
ii  libncurses4     4.2-3          Shared libraries for terminal handling
un  ncurses         <none>         (no description available)
ii  ncurses-base    4.2-3          Descriptions of common terminal types
ii  ncurses-bin     4.2-3          Terminal-related programs and man pages
un  ncurses-dev     <none>         (no description available)
un  ncurses-develop <none>         (no description available)
un  ncurses-pic     <none>         (no description available)
un  ncurses-runtime <none>         (no description available)
ii  ncurses-term    4.2-3          Additional terminal type definitions
un  ncurses21-dev   <none>         (no description available)
ii  ncurses3.0      1.9.9e-2.1     Old libc5 curses - shared libraries
ii  ncurses3.0-altd 1.9.9e-2.1     Old libc5 curses - Developer'slibraries
un  ncurses3.0-dev  <none>         (no description available)
ii  ncurses3.4      1.9.9g-8.11    Video terminal manipulation - sharedlibrari
un  ncurses3.4-dbg  <none>         (no description available)
pn  ncurses3.4-dev  <none>         (no description available)
un  ncurses3.4-pic  <none>         (no description available)

----
Robert King, Australian Environmental Studies, Griffith University, Australia
3875 6677   Robert.King@mailbox.gu.edu.au   http://www.ens.gu.edu.au/robertk/

"This library is open one hour each fortnight.  No book shall leave these
 premises. We have sworn it with an oath!"
 -- Library of King Ashurbanipal, Babylon, ca. 3000 BC.