Re: Best partitioning scheme?

> I just inherited a machine with 4 SCSI drives, 2GB each. It'll be a
> Micro$oft-free zone. It'll be an a LAN with several of us technicians (7 or
> so) having access to it for storage of files mostly, so I'm thinking of
> this for the partitioning scheme.
>
> Drive 1:
>   200 MB = /
I have 30M for root.  200M should definitely be enough.
>   1.8 GB  = /usr
Fine.  /usr tends to get big.

> Drive 2:
>   1.5 GB = /var
Depends on how you'll use the machine.
I have 46M /var (home machine) You may need a lot more than that if you're
planning on big mail/news/printer spools, huge log files etc.
>    64 MB = swap
With 4 scsi drives, put a little swap on each.  Swap will
then spread evenly among them, giving up to 4 times as fast swap.
Well, don't put swap partitions on a drives that you expect to
be heavily used, i.e. your storage partitions.
>    the rest = /tmp
>
> Drive 3 and Drive 4: /home
>
> So here's my two questions:
>   1) Does this sound like a reasonable paritioning scheme (I'm a newbie, so
> I really don't know).
Looks ok.  Nothing crazy there. :-)
>   2) How do I spread /home across two drives?
The easy way is to make one /home and the other /home2
Then make half of the user directories on /home
softlinks to directories on /home2 instead.  Or even
better, just give some users a home directory on /home2 instead.

The advanced way is to make a raid-0 array of the two drives.
This will give you a single 4G /home.  This will also be faster.
Experiment with different block sizes while setting up the array,
if you want maximum speed from your RAID.  Different controllers
and drives have different optimum sizes.

Helge Hafting