Re: dmesg: What file?

In article <[🔎] m10CkDd-0005GoC@canax.onu.edu>,
Sebastian Canagaratna <scanagar@canax.onu.edu> wrote:
>Hi:  I was under the impression that the command dmesg
>just typed out the contents of /var/log/kern.log. This
>does not seem to be true. What is the file which dmesg
>is displaying?

I believe the kernel keeps a circular message buffer, and dmesg prints
out that. Some of the messages that go to the ring buffer also go to
/var/log/kern.log of course, so there is some overlap. However, istr
that in the default syslog setup, debug messages aren't logged so you
will see extra ones from dmesg.

SRH
--
Steve Haslam            Validation Engineer, ARM Limited, Cambridge, England
almost called it today, turned to face the void along with the suffering