Re: accessing debian from an hpterm

Hamish Moffatt <hamish@debian.org> writes:

> I have an HP-UX workstation where I work; if I connect to my Debian box
> using an hpterm window, the terminal emulation is appalling.
>
> Arrow keys don't work for command line history (but it looks like hpterm isn't
> actually sending anything to the telnet session; and I don't use the arrow
> keys normally in an hpterm because the only decent shell on our system
> is ksh with vi editing :-)

I think that default for HP terms is that arrow keys only work locally and
don't send anything back to the computer.

> Also, ls thinks it can do colour, which doesn't work. Any program which
> sets bold ends up setting reverse video instead.
>
> I copied the hp-ux (10.20) terminfo definition across but it didn't help.
> Works okay if I use an xterm on HP-UX, but I prefer hpterms. Anyone?

I never found anything that properly emulated an HP terminal, outside
of HP itself and WRQ products.  The design philosophy behind HP
terminals is completely different than that of most other terminals.
My suspicion is that it is different enough that the code needs to be
specially written to handle it, even while using termcap or terminfo,
but everybody writes for vt100s instead.  I usually ended up using
xterms for the same reasons you mentioned.

--
Carl Johnson		carlj@peak.org