Re: dselect and downloading kernel

On Mon, 15 Feb 1999, ktb wrote:

> Havoc Pennington wrote:
>
> > On Mon, 15 Feb 1999, ktb wrote:
> > >
> > > Is there an easier way to do what I'm trying to do?  This is my first
> > > attempt at compiling a kernel.  I thought I would go ahead and try 2.2.1
> > > instead of the one I have 2.0.34.  It was my understanding that dselect
> > > would download, place the new kernel in the right directory and take
> > > care of some linkage issues.  Anyway if this can't be done I think I'll
> > > just stick to the kernel I have for the time being.
> >
> > dselect only understands Debian packages, I don't think ftp.kernel.org has
> > any Debian packages. So it's just getting thoroughly confused by what
> > you're doing. You need to download one of the Debian kernel-source
> > packages from ftp.debian.org or a mirror.
>
> OK I took a look at ftp.debian.org and I see no kernel package.  Where
> would I find a deb 2.2.1 package?  I found a kernel package at
> ftp://ftp.netgod.net/linux/v2.2/ but can dselect can't handle this?
> I've looked all over the debian site, I can't believe it isn't listed
> there.  Thanks, Kent

It is in unstable (maybe frozen--it's supposed to be part of 2.1,
kernel-source only). You can just download the kernel-source package and
install it with dselect.

If you get it from ftp.kernel.org (as I did), I'd recommend putting it in
/usr/local/src with 'tar xvf'.  In either case, make-kpkg will handle it.

Bob

----