x11amp not playing correctly

I installed x11amp, but it has a nasty problem.  It "skips" when it
plays, but consistenly.  It's hard to describe, but imagine several,
consistent but short-lived skips.  The effect is such that it really
slows down the music (because of the regular skipping).  Sometimes it
appears to skip twice as much (thus slowing play down by a factor of
two).

Note, however, that mpg123 plays mp3's perfectly; all other sound
applications and such work fine (even SLab for multi-track,
full-duplex recording!).  mpg123 plays uninterrupted even while I have
the rc5des program running.

Note, also, I tried increasing the buffers in x11amp to ridiculously
high amounts.

On a similar, but related note: I installed x11amp via the Debian
package, so that binary could be broken.

That in mind, I tried compiling my own x11amp, but I can't get past
the configure script because it says I don't have "thread-safe X
libraries."  I thought X on a libc6 system was automatically
considered "thread-safe" (or something to that effect).

Thanks,
Matt

--
Matt Garman, garman@uiuc.edu
"They're always havin' a good time down on the bayou,