apm (was: Re: Do you still need screensavers these days?)

On Mon, Feb 01, 1999 at 07:10:39PM +0000, Allens wrote:
> You have got to recompile the kernel, and enable apm support.
>
> 			Peter Allen
>
> Shao Zhang wrote:
> >
> > On Sun, 31 Jan 1999, Carl Fink wrote:
> >
> > > With modern power-saving BIOSes, the thing can even turn the monitor
> > > off (and power down the computer) if you've been away too long, saving
> > > electricity and wear on your system.
> >
> >         Great! This is what I did in Windoze. But how do I do it in Linux?
> > Is there any kind of software that does this??

Hmmm, this thread died without answering the question I was lurking to
listen for.  I have apmd up and running but can't figure out how to
make it go to sleep on a schedule.  Winblows had (has, presumably) a
place where you could just say "go to sleep after n minutes."  Is
there a place where I could configure this in debian?  Would I have to
reboot and enable a timeout in my BIOS?  (it is currently enabled with
a timeout of 0 as per debian install instructions from way back in
October.)  Or is there some reason why I don't want to use apm for
this but some other better faster smarter cheaper etc. program to
which someone will direct me?

Thanks,

Rob

--
"Eat, drink, and be merry, for tomorrow you may work."