Re: sound card/which kernel

On Mon, Feb 15, 1999 at 11:27:51AM -0600, ktb wrote:
> Hi, I'm attempting to compile my kernel (2.0.34) for the first time to
> enable sound.  I was reading in the sound HOWTO that there is a card
> supported "Crystal CS4232 (PnP)"  mine is "Crystal pnp Audio System
> CODEC"  I was wondering if anyone has had experience with this card and
> if  it is possible that my card will work with the "CS4232" card?

I got a Terratec card apparently based on the Crystal chip to work
well with the 2.0 kernels. Try to find the parameters (IRQ, IO, etc.)
under Windows and fill them in during kernel config. If it wont't work
this way, you might have to mess with the isapnp-package.

> Also there was mention in the HOWTO about PnP being supported in the 2.1
> kernel.  We are now at 2.2.1 if I remember correctly.  I was wondering
> if it would be better for me to get a new kernel and compile that one
> for sound?  Perhaps in 2.2.1 my card is now an option and maybe it
> supports PnP that would make obtaining sound easier?

The PnP-stuff in 2.2-kernels is only about some parallel port
stuff. I don't think it will help with sound. There is a sound
related change, though. With the 2.0 kernels, if you compiled sound
as a module, you still had to enter your card settings at configure
time. For 2.2 sound modules, you have to specify the resources when
you insert the module.

Good luck,
Robert